Grenouille Confit
The Gastronomic Adventures of a Duck and a Frog in Paris

Paris is a city full of great restaurants modestly tucked behind unassuming facades on otherwise unnotable streets. This is a city that rewards gastronomic exploration. An epicurean explorer at heart, this is a place where I share my discoveries with you, as well as, some tips and advice on navigating the waters. Whether you are a visitor looking to avoid the ubiquitous traps of over-priced mediocrity or you are resident looking to (re-) discover the gastromic wealth of this city, I want you to eat well in the city that I love.

Chez Nous : Wild Mushroom and Truffle Pasta

Labels:


The smell of truffles are intoxicating, the culinary equivalent of pure musk. I think that truffles have to be one of the best aphrodisiacs in the gastronomic world. Much sexier than raw oysters and champagne (although I admit raw oysters and anything are pretty yummy). So you can imagine my glee, when I opened my Valentines Day gift only to find not chocolates nor teddy bears nor books (books are a failsafe gift with me) but rather, a collection of truffle oils and pastes. I was a bit worried that my culinary skills wouldn't be up to scratch, but I quickly learned that the aroma of truffles is so characteristic and intense that they are actually quite easy to cook with. This is the recipe I made last night, using things I had in the kitchen.


Sorry guys. This is a little late for Valentine's Day. But come on, every day should be Valentine's Day with your sweetie.


Wild Mushroom and Truffle Pasta


3 cloves of garlic crushed

Olive oil

¾ cup cream

4 cups wild mushrooms diced ( I used porcini mushrooms)

1 tablespoon of truffle paste (I used white truffle and porcini paste)

Pepper

Grated parmesan

Pasta (probably best with an angelhair or spaghetti, although I used farfalle because that is what I had on hand)


  1. Cook pasta.(Come on, you don't need me to tell you that...you should have the pasta going at the same time.)

  2. Add olive oil and crushed garlic to a pan. Cook on medium for a couple of minutes. The point here is to brown the garlic a bit so that it infuses the oil with flavour. Remove the garlic from the oil.

  3. Add the mushrooms. Cook until tender around 5 or 6 minutes.

  4. Add the cream, the truffle paste and pepper to taste. Stir well. Cook for a couple of minutes. The cream will reduce quite quickly.

  5. Add strained pasta unto the pan and toss with sauce for a few minutes.


Voila. And there you have it. Incredibly easy. Top with fresh parmesan and your done.


Enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



Contributors

Daphne Duck

is a Canadian writer, who loves to eat, drink, and . . . write about it. Fortunately for her, Paris is the perfect place to do all three.

Benoit the Froggy

is a computer wizard by day, unrepentant sensualist by night. He is also Daphne's navigator. Without him, she would always be lost.

Followers